It’s an obvious assumption that insurance companies don’t want you to look at other companies. Drivers who shop around for the cheapest price will presumably switch to a new company because they stand a good chance of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent auto insurance study discovered that people who regularly compared rates saved approximately $70 a month compared to policyholders who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding the cheapest price for auto insurance is the reason you’re here, then having an understanding of the best ways to find and compare insurance can make the process less intimidating.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get affordable auto insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers in Tulsa.
- Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about individual coverages and the changes you can make to keep rates low. Many risk factors that cause rate increases such as speeding tickets, accidents and a substandard credit score can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Step 2: Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you can save some money, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your company or agent of your intent to cancel your current coverage and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to your new carrier. When you receive it, keep the new certificate verifying coverage with your vehicle’s registration.
An important part of this process is to use identical coverages on each quote request and and to get price estimates from as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Finding and comparing the best-priced protection in Tulsa is not as hard as you think. Just about each driver who carries insurance will more than likely find better rates. Although Oklahoma drivers can benefit from knowing how the larger insurance companies determine what you pay because it varies considerably.
You Can Change Your Insurance Costs
One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of the factors that go into determining your insurance rates. If you have some idea of what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with cheaper rates.
Cheaper insurance rates for prior coverage – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a quick way to increase your insurance rates. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Multiple policies with one company – Some companies will award better rates for people who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to compare Ford Focus rates in Tulsa to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
Gender impacts prices – Statistics demonstrate that females take fewer risks when driving. It does not mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Both genders tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but guys tend to have more serious accidents. They also have more aggressive citations like driving under the influence (DUI). Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents so it costs more to insure them.
The example below illustrates the difference between Ford Focus insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no accidents or driving violations, full coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Can a thief steal your car? – Purchasing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart car theft.
Pay more of a claim out-of-pocket – Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are collision with another vehicle, animal collisions, and damage caused by road hazards. The more money you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Five star safety rating saves money – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to be cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts which can mean better rates for you. If your Ford Focus is rated at a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
Lower prices by staying claim free – Insurance companies in Oklahoma give most affordable rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
Insurance loss statistics a Ford Focus – Companies use data from past claims as a tool for profitable underwriting. Models that the data determines to have higher loss trends will cost more to insure.
The table below outlines the compiled insurance loss statistics for Ford Focus vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Percentages below 100 represent a good loss history, while values over 100 point to more claims or tendency to have larger claims.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford Focus Electric||87||85||66|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
When quoting insurance, remember that making a lot of price comparisons increases your odds of finding lower pricing.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free quotes in Tulsa, OK. To get cheap car insurance in Tulsa, OK, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Ford Focus insurance charts and tables
The information displayed next covers different insurance prices for Ford Focus models. Being aware of how insurance quotes are figured can help you make smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$272||$580||$606||$36||$182||$1,676||$140|
|Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$272||$580||$606||$36||$182||$1,676||$140|
|Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$272||$682||$606||$36||$182||$1,778||$148|
|Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$272||$682||$606||$36||$182||$1,778||$148|
|Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$312||$682||$684||$40||$204||$1,922||$160|
|Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$312||$682||$684||$40||$204||$1,922||$160|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Oklahoma minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Table data does not factor in specific zip code location which can revise premium rates considerably.
The diagram below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can raise or lower Ford Focus insurance costs for each age group. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The example below illustrates the comparison of Ford Focus insurance costs with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $100 deductibles, single status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage or liability only?
There is no clear-cut rule for phasing out comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s say your Ford Focus book value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $2,000 after paying your deductible. If premiums are more than $200 annually for physical damage coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not a good plan. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Protect your Ford Focus and other assets
Even though Tulsa Focus insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is required by state law in Oklahoma and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Oklahoma these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Ford, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. It will also cover medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your insurance policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially if you ever need it. But the average driver in Oklahoma is overpaying over $700 annually so smart consumers compare quotes each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
These discounts can lower your auto insurance rates
Not too many consumers would say auto insurance is affordable, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some of these discounts will be visible when you quote, but occasionally some discounts must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off PIP or medical payments premium.
- No Claims – Insureds with no claims or accidents can save substantially when compared to frequent claim filers.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying coverage for primary and secondary vehicles with the same auto insurance company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Tulsa Homeowners Discount – Just owning your own home can save a few bucks because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few insurance companies allow discounts for buying a policy prior to your current Focus insurance policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Telematics Data – Drivers that enable their auto insurance company to analyze where and when they drive remotely such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system might see lower rates if their driving habits are good.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices prevent vehicle theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations may earn a discount on your policy.
- Mature Driver Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 may receive a small decrease in premiums.
You can save money using discounts, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Even though it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
The chart below illustrates the difference between Ford Focus insurance prices with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The costs are based on a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Oklahoma state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, marriage, multi-policy, multi-car, and claim-free discounts applied.
For a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Tulsa, click here.
Buying car insurance from Tulsa car insurance agents
A small number of people still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. A good thing about comparing rates online is you may find cheap car insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agents is important particularly in Tulsa.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is immediately sent to participating agents in Tulsa who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to drive around since price quotes are sent to you instantly. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to work with. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, just jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reliable insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agents and how they can service your needs differently. Car insurance policy providers can be classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents often have many company appointments so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a lower price, the business is moved internally which is easy for the insured. If you are comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you get rate quotes from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Listed below is a partial list of independent insurance agents in Tulsa who may provide comparison quotes.
6373 E 31st St A – Tulsa, OK 74135 – (918) 270-2220 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive are contracted to one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. They are very knowledgeable on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Tulsa that can give you comparison quotes.
Cathy Warren – State Farm Insurance Agent
6119 E 91st St Ste 100 – Tulsa, OK 74137 – (918) 481-6655 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
If you receive reasonable responses for all questions you ask as well as a price you’re happy with, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that is reliable enough to service your policy. It’s important to know that it’s your policy and you can cancel coverage when you choose so never assume you’re contractually obligated to any particular company with no way out.
Persistent drivers can save
We just showed you a lot of ways to get a better price on Ford Focus insurance in Tulsa. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Tulsa auto insurance, the better your chances of lowering your prices. Consumers may even find the best price on auto insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
As you prepare to switch companies, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where someone dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Additional auto insurance information can be read on the following sites:
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Tulsa? (FAQ)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)