It's amazing but nearly 70% of Oklahoma drivers have bought car insurance from the same company for well over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. American drivers could pocket almost 46.5% a year, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rates.
Really, the only way to find the cheapest price for GMC Sierra insurance is to do an annual price comparison from insurers who provide car insurance in Tulsa. This can be done by following these steps.
Step 1: Get an understanding of policy coverages and the factors you can control to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates such as distracted driving and an imperfect credit score can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Continue reading for tips to help prevent high rates and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
Step 2: Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote prices for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing policy and determine if cheaper Sierra coverage is available. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Step 4: Tell your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the new insurer. Don't forget to store the certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A good tip to remember is to try to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get quotes from every company you can. Doing this enables the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will be able to get lower rates using these methods. Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Tulsa can be much easier if you know how to start. Although Oklahoma vehicle owners must learn how insurance companies calculate your auto insurance rates and use this information to your advantage.
Just keep in mind that comparing all the rates in your area helps increase your odds of locating the best rates. Not every company does Tulsa Sierra insurance quotes over the internet, so it's important to also get prices from them as well.
The car insurance companies shown below provide free rate quotes in Oklahoma. To get the best cheap auto insurance in OK, it's a good idea that you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Auto insurance statistics for a GMC Sierra
The data table displayed below highlights detailed analysis of insurance prices for GMC Sierra models. Being more informed about how auto insurance premiums are determined can help guide drivers when making smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$332||$660||$584||$34||$174||$1,784||$149|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$332||$660||$584||$34||$174||$1,784||$149|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$332||$660||$584||$34||$174||$1,784||$149|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$376||$778||$584||$34||$174||$1,946||$162|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$418||$896||$584||$34||$174||$2,106||$176|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$418||$896||$584||$34||$174||$2,106||$176|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$418||$896||$584||$34||$174||$2,106||$176|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Oklahoma minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in Tulsa location which can modify coverage rates greatly.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The example below illustrates the difference between GMC Sierra insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premiums are based on no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no clear-cut formula that works best for making the decision to drop physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is about 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your GMC Sierra replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $3,000 after you pay the deductible. If premiums are more than $300 annually for full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not advised. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Why you need insurance for your GMC Sierra
Despite the potentially high cost of GMC Sierra insurance, maintaining insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Oklahoma these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your car with a loan, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your GMC at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
Third, car insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $820 a year so it's recommended you shop around at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Smart Consumers Save Every Year
Part of the insurance buying process is learning the factors that help determine the level of your policy premiums. If you know what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with lower rates.
Shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors insurance companies consider when setting your prices.
- A good credit history can save money - Having a good credit score factor in determining premium rates. If your credit rating leaves room for improvement, you could pay less to insure your GMC Sierra if you improve your credit rating. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to be more responsible than those with lower credit scores.
- More traffic means higher claims - Living in areas with lower population has it's advantages when talking about insurance. Lower population translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Residents of big cities have much more traffic and longer commute times. Spending more time driving means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Liability coverage claims can be big - The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability provides legal defense starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to other policy coverages, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Never go without insurance - Driving your car without having proper coverage can get you a ticket and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance may result in a revoked license or a big fine. Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Oklahoma motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Policy add-ons may be wasting money - There are a lot of extra add-on coverages you can purchase on your insurance policy. Coverages for coverage for rental cars, towing, and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. The coverages may be enticing at first, but if you have no use for them remove them and pocket the money.
Traffic violations drive up premiums - How you drive influences premium rates substantially. Getting just one ticket can boost insurance rates to the point where it's not affordable. Careful drivers have lower premiums as compared to careless drivers. Drivers unfortunate enough to have flagrant citations like DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to maintain a SR-22 with their state's licensing department in order to continue driving.
The illustration below illustrates how violations and at-fault collisions can affect GMC Sierra insurance costs for each age group. Data assumes a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Drive a fast car and pay more - The type of car or truck you are insuring makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Economy passenger models normally have pretty low rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
The following chart uses these assumptions: single female driver age 20, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It compares GMC Sierra policy rates compared to other vehicles that have a range of risk factors.
- When should you not file claims? - Car insurance companies in Oklahoma provide cheaper rates to insureds who are claim-free. If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Auto insurance is intended for the large, substantial claims.
GMC Sierra historical loss data - Insurance companies use claims history as a tool for profitable underwriting. Models that the data determines to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have increased rates. The data below shows the collected loss data for GMC Sierra vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is equal to 100. Numbers under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values that are 100 or greater point to more losses or larger claims.
GMC Sierra Insurance Loss Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Sierra 1500 2WD 89 122 106 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD 97 86 79 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 87 99 132 69 69 89 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 89 102 114 52 51 73 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 98 109 96 70 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 78 85 89 65 56 94 GMC Sierra 2500 4WD 70 56 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 63 101 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 91 118 105 43 50 90 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 67 108 85 40 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 85 128 121 35BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Determine discounts on Tulsa auto insurance
Companies don't always publicize all available discounts very well, so the list below gives a summary of both the well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Tulsa auto insurance online. If you don't get every credit you qualify for, you are just wasting money.
- Early Signing - A few insurance companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current Sierra insurance policy expiring. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you have multiple policies with the same company you could get a discount of up to 20% and get you inexpensive GMC Sierra insurance in Tulsa.
- Telematics Data - Tulsa drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to study their driving habits by installing a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot could save a few bucks if they have good driving habits.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more on Sierra insurance in Tulsa.
- Student Discounts - Maintaining excellent grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Driver's Ed - Require your teen driver to enroll and complete driver's education in school or through a local driver safety program.
Remember that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like it's possible to get free car insurance, companies don't profit that way. But any discount will definitely lower the premium cost.
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of GMC Sierra yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The information is based on a male driver, no violations or claims, Oklahoma state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-car, marriage, and multi-policy discounts applied.
The best auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include location of vehicle, multi-policy, age of vehicle, annual mileage, low natural disaster claims, ease of repair, and type of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for bundle discounts, teen driver, distant student, switch companies, youthful driver, and homeowner.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for youthful driver, driver training, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm offers discounts including accident-free, defensive driving training, multiple autos, anti-theft, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and good driver.
- Allstate policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, EZ pay plan discount, 55 and retired, auto/life discount, early signing, eSmart discount, and good payer.
- GEICO may offer discounts for five-year accident-free, multi-policy, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, seat belt use, air bags, and federal employee.
It's a good idea to ask all companies you are considering what discounts are available to you. Some discounts may not apply to policyholders in Tulsa. To choose providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Oklahoma, click here.
What if I want to buy from local Tulsa car insurance agents?
Many people would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision A nice benefit of comparing rates online is that you can find better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance data is submitted to insurance agents in Tulsa who will give competitive quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Choosing the best provider needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Tulsa?
- How often do they review coverages?
Listed below is a list of car insurance companies in Tulsa that can give you price quote information for GMC Sierra insurance in Tulsa.
Glass Insurance Agency, Inc
4500 S Garnett Rd #914 - Tulsa, OK 74146 - (918) 663-5314 - View Map
Once you have positive responses to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, you have narrowed it down to a company that can provide auto insurance coverage.
The most affordable rates come from being thorough
Some insurance companies may not have the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents. Cheaper GMC Sierra insurance in Tulsa can be bought online and from local agencies, and you should compare rates from both so you have a total pricing picture.
We've covered some good ideas how to lower your GMC Sierra insurance prices in Tulsa. It's most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the better likelihood of getting low cost Tulsa auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with an unexpected company. These companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 50 in Tulsa? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for 18 Year Olds in Tulsa? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Tulsa? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Nissan Sentra in Tulsa? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 21 in Tulsa? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Uninsured Drivers in Tulsa? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)